So it’s no secret that I love what I do now, with AIA, but it’s also no secret that I want to plant some churches that plant churches that plant churches that plant churches and so on… I think you get the point. With that said, I live in the tension of now and the dream. Some days it’s tough, other days it isn’t, but I do my best to try to live and make the most of the now with having a eye on the future (I would argue with you that the church planting process, for me, has begun. It began when God got me here September 4, 2007)! Having an eye on the future includes reading, following blogs that will challenge me and keep me sharp, following and praying for friends who are planting churches, and much more. Two of the places on the web that always challenge me are 1) theresurgence.com and 2) Acts 29 Church planting Network. So here is what was swift kick to the gut today… 20 Characteristics of a Church Planter. For some of you other hopeful church planters, or current planters, out there, that I know are some of my most faithful readers, how you doing? I’m thankful for the Spirit of God is at work in me [us] and is producing this, because if it were up to me, I’d get a big F!
1. Am I a Christian? (John 3:16)
2. Am I passionately in love with Jesus, and is He the Lord of every area of my life? (Personal spiritual dynamics is the second most important area.)
3. Do I believe His word, and does it affect my life deeply?
4. Am I Spirit-filled, Spirit-directed, Spirit-led, and Spirit-controlled? (Acts 1:8)
5. Am I qualified as an Elder? (1 Timothy, Titus)
6. Do I love the local church as the expression of a gospel community on mission? (Matthew 28:18-20)
7. Am I a missionary to the city? Am I sent for the advancement of the gospel in the city? (John 20:21)
8. Do I have a clear vision for this new work? (Nehemiah 1:3-4; 2:11-18)
9. Am I willing to pour myself out in obedience to the vision? (Phil. 2, Romans 6)
10. Am I healthy—physically, emotionally, financially, spiritually, relationally, maritally?
11. Am I the kind of leader many people will follow? Have I served as a church leader successfully? (1 Tim. 5:22; 3:6)
12. Can I preach effectively?
13. Can I guard the doctrinal door with Biblical clarity and tenacious confidence?
14. Can I architect a new work with entrepreneurial skill?
15. Am I called to plant a church at this time and in this place? (Acts 17:26; 1 Peter 5:2)
16. Have my church leaders commended me for this calling? (Acts 11:22-26; 13:1-4; 16:1-2)
17. Am I a hard worker? Am I persevering? (2 Thes. 3:10; 1 Tim. 5:17-18; 2 Tim. 2:3-6)
18. Am I adaptable to new people, places, and concepts?
19. Can I raise the funds necessary for my family’s needs? (1 Tim. 5:8)
20. Am I humble enough to learn from others—particularly those who have gone ahead of me in different areas?
Click here for the longer version.